THE SHAPE OF WATER -- my review

Okay, I’ll admit it. I was not excited to see THE SHAPE OF WATER. I’ve had the screener for several months. I had heard mixed reviews. When the first thing people say is that it is “visually stunning” that is generally code for boring, pretentious, no story, three hours. But since THE SHAPE OF WATER was nominated for so many awards and I plan on reviewing the awards for my podcast, I decided to see it. And I figured, to really give it the fairest shot, I’d see it on a big screen (even if that meant paying). Plus, I always enjoy going to the Landmark in West LA because I’m still the youngest person in the theatre by 30 years.

Happy to report I was very pleasantly surprised by THE SHAPE OF WATER. It had a good story, was well-acted, very original, ambitious… oh, and it was visually stunning.

Essentially THE SHAPE OF WATER is BEAUTY AND THE BEAST meets SPLASH. Sally Hawkins is Belle who can breathe underwater. Michael Shannon is Gaston. Shannon is becoming the new Robert Shaw – the villain in every movie. And is it just me, but he always reminds me of “Jaws” in those James Bond flicks? Richard Jenkins plays a version of the kindly older man “Belle” is looking after.

Sally Hawkins was quite wonderful. I hope she wins the Oscar, but her performance was very subtle and quiet (VERY quiet, her character was a mute) and Oscars tend to go to more “showy” parts or Meryl Streep for showing up.

Richard Jenkins, a venerable character actor, also deserves a statuette. On the other hand, Octavia Spencer is nominated for best supporting actress and her competition is way more deserving. I’m sorry but Spencer plays the same part in every movie she’s in.

Doug Jones, who played the creature was snubbed. Diversity still doesn’t recognize monsters I suppose. For my money, he was way better than the guy who played the Gimp in PULP FICTION.

Oh, and I also loved Michael Stulberg, who is the new Stanley Tucci. He morphs into whatever role he plays and he’s always excellent.

But the real gold goes to Guillermo del Toro for both his inventive screenplay (co-written by Vanessa Taylor) and dazzling directing. If the Academy wants to give Greta Gerwig an Oscar (and I think to be politically correct they do), they better give her screenplay because her directing wasn’t in del Toro’s league (under the sea). Sorry, I had just to get that pun in. I mean, it was just sitting there.

In a very weak year for movies – when a derivative coming-of-age teen movie is up for picture of the year – my vote for 2018 would be THE SHAPE OF WATER. It’s a lovely homage to old Hollywood films with romance, tension, social commentary… and visually, wow, it’s just STUNNING. Glad I finally saw it.

from By Ken Levine

Comments