RIP David Ogden Stiers

Devastating news that David Ogden Stiers has passed away.  He was only 75.   Probably best known for playing Dr. Charles Emerson Winchester on MASH he had a long distinguished career in films, TV, the theater, and voice work. 

I first met David in 1976 when he guest-starred in an episode of THE TONY RANDALL SHOW that my partner, David Isaacs and I wrote.   He played a radio talk show host named Robert W. Cleaver.  He was naturally hilarious.  That same year he also guested on THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW and MASH Executive Producer, Burt Metcalfe had seen him and was impressed. 

We joined MASH after that season and the first task we all encountered was replacing Frank Burns since Larry Linville decided to leave the show.   We wanted the new character to be much smarter than Frank, a worthy adversary for Hawkeye and BJ.   There were no casting sessions, no lists compiled.  Burt suggested David Ogden Stiers, we were wildly enthusiastic over the idea, and that was that. 

Stop me if I've told these stories before, but the week before production David came up to our office and we heard him read the character.  He chose to do it in a thick Boston accent.  We told him we were concerned that it was hard to decipher some of the words.  He said, "Well, what if I backed off just a little bit?"  He re-read it with that slight adjustment and we said, "Perfect!"  That's the way he played it from then on.

David Isaacs and I actually wrote the first episode featuring Charles although it didn't air until late in the season.  The episode is called "The Merchant of Korea" and dealt primarily with a poker game.  Since there was no need to film at the Malibu ranch it was held back to the latter part of the year when going to the ranch was unfeasible due to lack of daylight.   That script served as the template.  Jim Fritzell & Everett Greenbaum then wrote the terrific hour episode that introduced him.

The night of the premier we had a big party.  I was sitting next to David on the couch and just before the show aired I said, "In one hour your life will change forever."  He thought I was being a tad over-dramatic.  Three days later he said to me, "My God.  You're right. I can't go anywhere without being recognized."

There's always the worry when you introduce a new character that fans will take to him.  In David's case it was instantaneous acceptance. 

David was a wonderful gentle soul.  And quirky.  He didn't drive -- not easy in Southern California.  He rode a scooter (way ahead of his time).  He engineered sly practical jokes. He was truly loved by the cast and crew.  

David rarely gave interviews about his time on MASH.  He didn't want to just be remembered for that show.  In documentaries and articles he always declined to participate.  But I know he was intensely proud of his contribution to MASH.   And through MASH his brilliance will be seen and appreciated for years and years to come.

RIP David Ogden Stiers.  I salute you... with tears in my eyes. 

from By Ken Levine

Comments