Podcast confidential

I get lots of questions about my podcast (besides “why don’t you give it up?”). I’m well into my second year and starting to figure it out. Like with my blog, when I started I just tried a variety of things to see which would stick. I’m still on the lookout for new and different things to shake it up once in awhile – like doing my first (and last) stand-up and assembling actors for a reading of one of our pilots.

But the two types of episodes that have received the best response are me just gassing off about some showbiz related nonsense and interviews. And that’s fine with me.

The easiest episodes, to be honest, are when I have a couple of topics, jot down some bullet points, turn on the mic and just jabber for a half hour. One of my radio idols was Jean Shepherd. He would go on WOR radio in New York and just tell stories for an hour. And he was such a wonderful storyteller that I would listen spellbound. I’m not in his league, but I hope to at least carry on his spirit.

I’m often asked why I don’t do interviews every week? Because then my life would just be about booking guests. And there would be weeks where I needed a warm body and would have a guest who’s not that scintillating. I’d rather pick and choose and make the interview episodes really count. I’m also trying to bring you guests you don’t often hear. Upcoming guests include actress Nancy Travis, a former studio development person to discuss the do’s and don’t’s of writing screenplays, and blogger/writer/Renaissance Man, Mark Evanier.

Another question I’m asked is why I don’t have a co-host? I hear a lot of podcasts that do feature two hosts and some of them are terrific. But others are not. And nothing drives me crazier when listening to a podcast than two idiots just prattling on for the first ten minutes talking about nothing. I don’t care what they did that weekend. I don’t care that they took their dog to the groomer.

When there are two hosts I, as the listener, just feel like I’m eavesdropping on someone else’s conversation. I would much prefer to talk directly to YOU. I’m sure some of that stems from former Dodger broadcaster, Vin Scully. He was the only TV baseball announcer left who worked alone. Every other broadcast you have two or three knuckleheads debating every pitch. It was so refreshing to have Vin Scully there to tell ME what was happening.

So when I begin an episode I try to tell you within the first thirty seconds what that week’s show is about and why you might find it interesting. Just assume I had an okay weekend and BBQ’d.

I try to avoid politics on this podcast. Sometimes it’s hard, but I want the podcast to be a respite from the world’s insanity.

I’m also asked about the jingles. In fact, there’s a Friday Question tomorrow that goes into just that. I talk about it and show you the lovely singers. Clearly, I come from a radio background and my show reflects that. It’s probably a little less ragged than most podcasts but that’s me, so what the hell?

This week is one where I take center stage. I discuss the craziness of doing sports talk radio, introduce you to some real whack jobs, and play a sample of me calling Mariners play-by-play. In upcoming episodes I talk about Hollywood feuds, and do a commentary track for a FRASIER episode I directed. More surprises, contests, snarky reviews, giveaways and ways to interact with you guys is also on the way… along with the aforementioned interviews.

Thanks again for listening. And if you’re not, how come??? HOLLYWOOD AND LEVINE. You can click on the big gold arrow under the masthead or find it on iTunes and most podcast apps and servers. I’m still trying to build an audience so anyone you could recommend it to would be greatly appreciated… as would be a five-star review (which I’m told is important but never told why).

As you can see, I’m very passionate about this podcast. It’s great fun to do, and I hope that comes through over your ear buds. I’ll keep trying to improve it. You keep listening. And of course, if you want to get in touch with me for whatever reason, my email is

HollywoodLevine@outlook.com.

Does anybody have an email address for the Pope?

from By Ken Levine

Comments