Misc. Takes

I haven’t done this in awhile, so what the hell?

Again, thanks to everyone who answered the call last week and gave me your feedback. I got a very interesting suggestion from reader Janet Ybarra about my now taking weekends off. First off, why the weekends? Traditionally there are fewer readers. Lots of people read blogs either at work or school. Fridays tend to be lighter on traffic so that’s why I set the weekly question feature on Friday (there’s actual method to this madness).

Janet suggested I reserve every Thursday for the posting of my podcast, move the Friday Questions to the weekend, and write a new post every Friday. The problem is I don’t want to mess with Friday Questions (that’s my Golden Arches… or at least Arch), but I will experiment with the weekly podcast announcement being Thursday and write something original for Saturday-Sunday. How’s that? Besides, I’m really proud of the podcast and wish more of you would listen. So thanks, Janet. We’ll see how new plan goes.

Reader Louis suggested a separate podcast where I put my DJ hat back on and play my favorite music.  That would be a blast except for two problems.  One is I don't have the right equipment to do what essentially would be a live show.  And the second, even bigger issue, is that if I play music I then have to pay rather hefty royalty fees.   But if you're ever in my car with me I still talk up to the vocals.  It's a marvelous useless skill. 

And speaking of the podcast, I’m just a few weeks away from my 100th episode.

If you visit the blog on a weekend and there’s no new post you could always check out the archives. I probably have come to 150 months worth of material available. From time to time I’ll still post Friday Questions from ten years ago, but there’s all kinds of good stuff in the archives and they’re only a click away.

People wonder why I haven’t monetized my blog yet. I could get some money but it would really junk up the page with ads. I’d rather occasionally use the blog to promote something I’m doing — like the podcast (hint hint) or my website to license my plays. The way to support this blog is to support my other endeavors. And I like to think it’s a win/win because you’ll be getting some form of entertainment back.

Even as a Dodger fan I was really bummed about hearing of Willie McCovey’s passing. He was a class act, even if he owned Don Drysdale. In a typical game against "Big D." McCovey would go 2-2.  He'd smack a double his first time up, get hit in the ribs by Drysdale his second, homer in his third, and get drilled on the arm in his fourth. 

More people seemed to hate my political rants even more than my baseball posts. To those people I say you might want to skip tomorrow. Look, I don’t love writing political posts. I’m hardly what you’d call a wonk. But there are times events are so appalling that I’m almost forced to comment. So on those occasions I hope you will excuse me or even perhaps consider my position. Ultimately I want peace and prosperity and dignity and equality for all — regardless of your political party.

Was up in San Francisco last week. Did not go to big “Battle of the Bay” Thursday Night NFL game that pitted the 1-6 Oakland Raiders against the 1-7 San Francisco 49’ers.

Went by my old studio apartment at 1915 Greenwich in the Marina district. I think I paid $200 a month for it in 1974. It’s probably costing $6000 a month now. But they have a new awning.

My baseball rant last week elicited a lot of response, some of it even positive. For the record, I know analytics are here to stay (at least for now) and yes the games are taking longer, which I’d be fine with if it meant there was more action as a result. But it’s the opposite. Longer games with larger gaps between balls-in-play is hurting the sport. It just is. And it’s one thing when it’s the World Series and each game, each pitch is important. There’s real suspense. But what about a game in early May? Do you really want to sit through a 3:45 San Diego Padres vs.Baltimore Orioles game that ends with a final score of 2-1? I love baseball but it needs to address some issues.

God, I hope the new BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY movie is good.

I have a play that will be produced in Brooklyn in January. Stand by for details. I can now say I made it to Broadway (adjacent).

Barbra Streisand was great on CARPOOL KARAOKE with James Corden last week. The only thing that was truly unbelievable was Barbara Streisand stopping to pick up a motorist in need. Yeah, like that could happen unless it was staged or Obama had a flat.

from By Ken Levine

Comments