Misc.- Takes

In no order of importance…

I’m guessing the current WGA battle with the ATA (talent agencies) will ultimately be resolved in the courts. It won’t get to the Supreme Court because, as of this year, it no longer exists.

FIVE GUYS over IN N’ OUT. And since you can get free peanuts at FIVE GUYS, why bother ordering fries?

Next week my podcast guest will be director, Jim Burrows (pictured above with me). It’s a two-part interview, and he was GREAT. We talk about the process of directing, the popularity of FRIENDS, tales of directing that pilot, stories about CHEERS and WILL & GRACE, and directing the recent live reboot of ALL IN THE FAMILY/JEFFERSONS. So stay tuned. It’s coming soon.

Jim Burrows directed 44 episodes that David Isaacs and I wrote.  Including one that we acted in.  Only the great Jim Burrows could get a good performance out of me.  (This was for a show called THE MARSHALL CHRONICLES and not only did I have to deliver a joke, I had to deliver it while walking.   And yes, I got my laugh.  Thank you, Jimmy.

I forgot to ask whether he’s still getting residuals for THE TONY RANDALL SHOW we did together in 1976. I’m not.

My favorite internet oldies station, Richbroradio.com was off the air a couple of days while Rich Brother Robbin was moving.  But it's back up and you can hear it here.  If you like oldies from the '50s-'70s this is the site for you.  Bookmark it. Not just the same 100 songs.  Rich has a deep playlist -- songs you might have forgotten but go "oh wow!" when you hear them.  And what better time to cruise around digging feel-good music than the summertime? 

Kevin Durant remains a highly sought-after free agent even though he can’t play next year due to injuries.  Imagine the money he'd get if he could play. 

Proud to say I had a play in the Stonewall Festival in Buffalo this last month. Thanks to Donna Hoke for putting together such a great line-up of plays celebrating LGBTQ.

The New York Mets are the New Coke of baseball.  The Mets are bringing back 1962 more than Richbroradio.com is.

Network shows go back into production very soon. A single-camera sitcom will film from July to April to produce 22 episodes. On MASH we shot 25 episodes from the 4th of July to just before Christmas. And that included all the complicated exterior scenes done at the Malibu Ranch.

Could Neil Simon get a comedy play on Broadway today?

Durant and Kawhi Leonard could wind up on the same team. Possibilities include the Knicks and Clippers. Both teams know that Durant is out for the year, right? That may seem like a silly question but these are the Knicks and Clippers.

The Yankees and Red Sox first inning in London on Saturday – between them they scored 12 runs. Final score:  Yankees 17, Boston 13.   What a joke.

The Yankees won the second game 12-8.  That one was a real pitching duel.  

My favorite character on HBO’s BARRY: Anthony Carrigan as NoHoHank. Hilarious and completely original.

How come the Kansas City Royals weren't invited to play in London? 

What was wrong with the format of the old TO TELL THE TRUTH? Y’know, back when it was GOOD.

I have two ten-minute plays this month at the Brisk Festival in LA.  Here's the info.  If you come to one, say hi.  

Saw a recent episode of JEOPARDY where the contestants were all in their 30’s or early 40’s. They had to identify a certain actor – Robert Redford. None of them even rang in. Seriously? Robert Redford? You JEOPARDY contestants know the names of Nairobi mountaintops and the all the names of President Chester A. Arthur’s cabinet, but you’ve never once seen BUTCH CASSIDY or ALL THE PRESIDENT’S MEN or THE STING?

At this point I was going to mention that Jim Burrows’ father was Abe Burrows, but if folks don’t know who Robert Redford is, what are the chances they’ll be familiar with Abe Burrows? He was a Broadway legend who, among other things, wrote GUYS & DOLLS. (Gee, I wonder how many people have heard of GUYS & DOLLS?)

I want to go to Star Wars Land in Disneyland but I’ll wait for the initial crowds to die down. So I’ll see it in 2030.

The Red Sox flew to London on a luxurious private jet.  For the trip home they probably flew commercial -- steerage with a stop in Johannesburg.  

The second Democratic Debate was seen by over18 million people. Some are saying that’s a paltry amount, but those same people thought 18 million viewers for THE BIG BANG THEORY was a big number.

CNN premieres its new documentary series on movies this month. I was one of the people interviewed. Let’s see if I make the cut. I didn’t tell them I co-wrote MANNEQUIN 2.

They did use me on the ‘70s, ‘80s,’90s, and ‘00s during the television segments. And thankfully, they replay those on CNN often. I was on again last night.  I’m thrilled, not for the exposure. But when you’re seeing me on CNN it’s an hour you’re not seeing Trump.

The 4th of July holiday weekend begins Thursday except in Hollywood where it began last Thursday.

You have my permission to start yours now.  

from By Ken Levine

Comments