Weekend Post

This is how the story goes.  I never confirmed it with either of the players but Vin Scully once told it on a Dodger broadcast so I assume it's true.  And even if it's not, it's a great story.

The San Diego Padres were playing the Braves in Atlanta.  Nate Colbert of the Padres was having a big day.  He got hits his first three at-bats.  His name was announced for his fourth at-bat and the crowd leapt to its feet and started cheering wildly. 

Colbert was so touched he returned to the on-deck circle now occupied by teammate Cito Gaston.  Colbert said, "Cito, I can't believe it.  These are the most amazing baseball fans I've ever seen.  I mean, here I am, an opposing playing, and they give me a standing ovation."

Gaston said, "Look up at the message board."

Colbert glanced up at the big stadium message board and it said, "We have landed a man on the moon."  

It's been 50 years, but those of us who were alive to see it will never forget those spectacular few days when "the Eagle had landed."  What an extraordinary achievement -- especially in hindsight when we see how primitive all the equipment and computers were. 

I remember my grandfather was so choked up he cried.  He was born before the Wright Brothers lifted off the ground.  To go from no flight at all to landing on the moon in his lifetime was overwhelming. 

When my son graduated from Tufts, the commencement speaker was Neil Armstrong.  I generally don't get star struck, but HOLY SHIT!   There he was.  In person!  I was in awe.  

Congratulations to everyone who made this monumental achievement possible.   Oh, for the days I was sooooo proud to be an American. 

from By Ken Levine

Comments