Favorite CHEERS episodes

Yesterday I shared my favorite MASH episodes. Several of you have asked that I do the same for CHEERS. For MASH I chose from the whole series, but David Isaacs and I wrote 40 episodes of CHEERS so I think I will list my Top Ten episodes written by Levine & Isaacs.

TO ALL THE GIRLS I’VE LOVED BEFORE – We wrote this without an outline and it actually turned out really well.

RAT GIRL – Lilith keeps a dead rat in her purse. We won a WGA Award for this sensitive episode.

ANY FRIEND OF DIANE’S – Our first CHEERS and the last scene with Sam & Diane is one of my faves.  And Jim Burrows' father, Abe Burrows said he really liked that episode so that's cause for a swelled head. 

TRUCE OR CONSEQUENCES – Our second CHEERS. Shelley Long and Rhea Perlman were both stellar in the episode where they tried to be friends.

JUMPING JERKS – The guys skydive. Just silly but fun and a fan favorite.

BOYS IN THE BAR – Another first season show. The guys fear the bar will go gay. I doubt if we could do this episode today, but it earned us an Emmy nomination, WGA Award, and GLAAD Award.

DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY ON ICE – We had to kill off Eddie LeBec after Jay Thomas insulted Rhea Perlman on the radio. Happy with the result and it earned us another Emmy nomination.

BAR WARS – The first of what became a series. We wrote this last minute over a weekend and then the WGA went on strike. Paramount was allowed to film existing material but not change it, so what you see on the screen was our rushed first draft. It could’ve been better with polish, but considering the circumstances it didn't suck. 

BREAKING IN IS HARD TO DO – We built an entire episode to payoff one big joke at the end. It was very risky but thankfully it worked. The laugh was about a minute.

THE BIG KISS OFF – Another very frothy episode but lots of laughs another fan favorite. Kirstie was particularly good. 

We wrote so many that I could also do a Bottom Ten… but I won’t. And even those might be better than I think. 

from By Ken Levine

Comments