Adventures in Bad Make Up

What’s with this new trend of ending movies or series with everybody made up to look old? Without giving away any story points, the series finale of THE DEUCE, THE AFFAIR, and portions of THE IRISHMAN all have actors in old age make up.

And no matter how they do it, whether by CGI or good old fashion rubber masks, it always looks ridiculous. Right away you’re taken out of the story because the actors look like they’re in a dinner theatre production of THE GIN GAME.

It’s hard to predict what someone will look like in thirty years. There was that Facebook feature going around recently that would project what you would look like old. Why would I want to see that? And certainly why would I want to post it? Especially if I were dating someone I hoped would turn into a long-term relationship. Hard enough to seal the deal without her thinking I’m going to morph into Keith Richards.

I remember once on CHEERS we did a dream sequence where everyone was old. It was weird then and even weirder now that you can actually compare the projection to real life.

For all the magic that Hollywood can do – making people fly, blowing up planets – they still can’t age actors to where they look natural. And what’s worse is when older actors get work done and as a result don’t look real in real life.

The only way I would ever end a series by projecting into the future is by hiring Clint Eastwood to play the older version of the lead character – even if the lead character was a woman. Otherwise, I’d find a different finale.

from By Ken Levine

Comments