How long will you wait in line?

Cities are getting more crowded (Los Angeles certainly is). It seems we stand in more lines these days. And in longer lines.

The irony is a lot of lines we used to stand in we don’t anymore. When was the last time you stood in a long line to get into a movie theatre? Trips to the bank which used to mean lengthy teller lines are now skirted thanks to ATM’s or on line banking (or being broke).

But if you want a hundred rolls of toilet paper or eight cartons of Cheetos you’ve got to deal with Costco. If you want to go to a sporting event allow an extra half hour for security. And don’t even get me started on the airport.

The question becomes: Is my time more valuable than waiting in line? When Taco Bell gives out free tacos is it really worth standing in line for 40 minutes to save $3.00?  Are the Black Friday discounts that amazing? 

I spend a lot of time and energy trying to figure out how I can avoid lines. Going to the Department of Motor Vehicles is a nightmare. It’s imperative I make a reservation beforehand, even if that means setting it up two months in advance. I pay the money for TSA Pre-Check. I never go to In & Out at noon. (I never go to Taco Bell at all so that’s moot.) I never go to Costco (although I do love their hot dogs). I book rental cars way in advance. I don’t go to any clubs that have velvet ropes.

I think a way of testing our tolerance is Disneyland.  We all know there are long lines at Disneyland.  They've instituted "Fast Passes" which help, but still plan on 60% of your day standing in line for Peter Pan.   This past summer they opened up a big Star Wars Land attraction.  Disney figured this would be an absolute bonanza.   And instead people avoided Disneyland like the plague.  Everyone just assumed that the crowds and lines would be insane so they avoided it.   There's a tipping point.

What lines will you stand in and which will you avoid?

The Peter Pan ride, by the way, takes like a minute and a half.

from By Ken Levine

Comments