Standard Time has come today

Is there anything more depressing than the first night you go off Daylight Saving Time and return to Standard Time?    Depending on where you are it gets dark anywhere from 4:30 to noon.  (Folks in the Southern Hemisphere -- feel free to laugh and enjoy your oncoming summer.).

I know it's supposed to be great for farmers, getting extra daylight in the morning.  And hookers certainly benefit from another hour of night time.   But for most of us it's just bleak. 

How many of you go to work in the morning and by the time you leave for home it's dark already?  Doesn't it give you the feeling that you lost an entire day? 

For me the dread goes back to when I was a kid.  Daylight Saving meant I could go out and play AFTER dinner.  That was always glorious.  Come November I was in the house for the night, usually with homework staring me in the face.   Thank you rotation of the earth.

This may be more acute in Southern California because the seasons don't really change. So the weather stays relatively the same while the big difference is the clock. 

But I will be testing that theory next week when I travel to Minneapolis to attend a staged reading of my new holiday play, ON THE FARCE DAY OF CHRISTMAS.   Folks in the Midwest are all invited.  Here's where you go for details and tickets.  I'll be doing a Q&A after and you can ask why I'm still wearing a parka when we're inside and it's 72 degrees?   But I'm excited to see the reading even if I freeze and it gets dark at 3:30. 



from By Ken Levine

Comments