Load Management

I’d love to ask Larry Bird or the late Wilt Chamberlain what they think about “Load Management.”

This is the new thing – NBA players not wanting to play certain back-to-back nights to save themselves from injury and stay fresher for the playoffs.

I’m sure part of the thinking is that the NBA plays an 82 game regular season that essentially means nothing. Other than maybe four teams, everyone gets into the playoffs and those have what seems like ten rounds.

I understand the thinking, but a couple of points.

First of all, these players are making an ungodly amount of money. One year’s salary and you and your family would be set for life. You could even afford tickets to NBA games (well, almost). 

Players contend it’s not about playing less, just not as often. When they play they rack up lots of minutes. And that’s fine, except…

When I’m paying a year's salary to see an essentially meaningless NBA game in early December I don’t want to hear that the star I came to see (especially if he’s an opponent) is just going to take the night off so he'll be fresher for May.  

Also, where’s the competitive spirit? I come from baseball and believe me, if there’s a player who would rather sit out a game he’s resented by the rest of the team. Yes, it’s a grind. But that’s why you’re getting paid more than Bird and Chamberlain ever made in their prime. Suck it up.

And Chamberlain claims he had sex with 20,000 women -- so he NEEDED a few nights off.  

Last month while in Minnesota I went to a Timberwolves game and was shocked that the arena was 2/3rd empty. And they have a good young team on the rise in a terrific venue.   I’m sure one of the season’s big attractions is the Golden State Warriors. If I buy tickets well in advance to that game I don’t want to arrive only to learn that Steph Curry is sitting this one out. Or LeBron is sitting out the Lakers game.

If a player is hurt that’s one thing. But if he’s healthy and can play I believe he owes it to the fans to play and play hard.   Only screw 17,000 women during the season. 

Yeah, I know.  OK Boomer. 

from By Ken Levine

Comments