No, I didn't watch THE GOLDEN GLOBES

I now never do. The Golden Globes to me means Wilshire Blvd. near my home is closed for two days. (NOTE: Please clean up quickly, remove the bleachers, etc. I need to go east.)

The Golden Globes are always a joke. Foreign Press favorites and international artists receive favored consideration. Plus, winning a Golden Globe bears no relationship on whether you’ll win an Oscar. Or even be nominated for an Oscar. So you can’t use them to handicap. And for television, the awards come after the Emmys so the same people who won in September often win one of these in January. Gee, CHERNOBYL, and FLEABAG won. What a surprise!

I also find Ricky Gervais now repellent. Once upon a time I admired him. I thought his version of THE OFFICE was one of the freshest, funniest sitcoms I had ever seen. His early hosting duties were edgy but with a twinkle. And now he’s just a bitter, unfunny, sad guy who’s only act is shock humor. For me it’s gotten to the point where even if I agree with the targets he’s skewering I still hate him.

But th message is clear: When you hire Ricky Gervais to host the show (considering his track record) you are forfeiting any class and stature and thus cheapening your awards even before the show begins. The Foreign Press would gladly sacrifice dignity for trending.

So why should I care? And why should I watch?

If there is a good moment or memorable speech I’m sure there’ll be clips of it on line. I’m told they used a clip from VOLUNTEERS in the Tom Hanks montage so sorry I missed that three second portion of the 3+ hour self-lovefest. I’m sure Tom’s speech was classy (and thus out of place). I’ll see a clip.

For great television on Sunday, those two NFL Playoff Games were fantastic. Drama, suspense, great moments – only thing missing was the gowns.

from By Ken Levine

Comments