This is why I know I can never be on JEOPARDY

I'm a JEOPARDY addict.  I admit that up front.

And like everyone else watching, I try to call out the answers before the contestants.  Some days are better than others.   If the topic is the 1991 Baltimore Orioles I can run the board.  But if it's 3rd Century Harbors I'm toast.

Still, in the back of my mind, I wonder -- could I maybe not embarrass myself if I went on that show?

Then last week happened.

I was in the studio audience about two months ago when the episodes that aired three days last week were taped.

And I STILL don't know the answers to a lot of these questions.  I couldn't remember for two months, much less "know" these factoids.

THAT'S when you know.  

I mean, if nothing else, the value of seeing JEOPARDY taped is that you can watch those episodes with friends and dazzle them with your supposed "knowledge."

And now, if I'm going to be on that show it would have to be to replace Johnny Gilbert, the off-stage announcer.  And even that might not work.  Some of those contestants have long confusing tongue-twisting names.

As a JEOPARDY freak this is Superbowl Week.  The three greatest champions going head-to-head on ABC starting tonight.  So it should be extra great even if I feel extra stupid.  

from By Ken Levine

Comments