Weekend Post: Buck Henry

Buck Henry died on Wednesday. He was 89. When I pay tribute to people I admire I try to include personal stories and share things you won’t get in any obit. But unfortunately I never met Buck Henry. I know people who did, and they always spoke highly of him, but it’s not the same thing.

So all I have to go on his body of work. His list of credits was enormous – as a writer, director, and actor. Among them: he wrote the screenplay for THE GRADUATE. That alone puts him on the Mt. Rushmore of screenwriters.

Henry traveled in the “high rent” district when it came to show business. Mike Nichols, Elaine May, Mel Brooks, Warren Beatty, Lorne Michaels. Who can ever forget Henry’s appearances on SNL in the early years of that show when he played the lecherous babysitter (a character that today would spark outrage)?

Without listing his credits (which you’ve probably seen in fifteen other tributes), all I know is that whenever I saw his name attached in any way I knew it was going to be a high class production. Even GET SMART (which he co-created with Mel Brooks). God, it was funny and “smart” in its early Buck Henry period. Even a silly spoof was elevated.

From the outside it looked like Buck Henry had a fabulous life (and 89 is a pretty good run). He was well respected in his field, accomplished many things, and entertained millions of people. I hope he did have a fabulous life. Fabulous or better. I’m only sorry I couldn’t thank him personally for all the joy and inspiration he provided me.

RIP Buck Henry

from By Ken Levine

Comments