RIP David Schramm

A number of readers have asked me to write about David Schramm, who played Roy Biggins on WINGS. He passed away recently. He was only 73. I spent five or six years on that show, mainly consulting, but also writing and directing.

I loved working with David, but to be honest, didn’t really know him that well. What I did know was he was a fine dramatic theatre and Shakespearian actor, but we never got the feeling he was “slumming it” playing comedy on a sitcom. He threw himself into the role and got every laugh we gave him. Most people don’t realize that it’s extremely hard to play the antagonist on a sitcom and still be liked by the audience. David straddled that line perfectly. And he really committed to the character. He did not mind playing a real asshole at times. And yet he did it with such a flair that you couldn’t wait for him to return to the screen.

He was also a terrific physical comedian; very light on his feet. To me he was reminiscent of Jackie Gleason. He was not afraid to look silly. The entire cast of WINGS was wonderful, but if I had to pick the two who were inspired casting I would say Tony Shalhoub and David Schramm.

He was also somewhat eccentric. In 2006, long after WINGS had ended, I was doing a reading of my first play in New York. There was a leading part I thought David would be great for. I knew he lived in Upstate New York somewhere. I figured I would just get his email address and contact him and send along a pdf of the script. Well, David didn’t have an email address. I had to track down his phone number. He graciously agreed to do the reading without even reading the play. I sent it to him anyway, via snail mail.

We only had one rehearsal the day of the performance. David nailed it. Just nailed it. In a high-powered cast of Joanna Gleason, Chip Zien, Andrew Rannells, Malcolm Getz, and David Rasche – David Schramm stole the play. He got every laugh and more. I was in awe.

I lost touch with him. Not having an email address will do that. After WINGS he went back to the theatre. But I am forever grateful for his kindness in doing my reading and his making my time on WINGS such a joy.

I invite you to binge watch WINGS. You’re in for a real treat seeing David Schramm, a gifted actor and comedian at his best.

from By Ken Levine

Comments