Shows on the bubble

Wow. What does this say about the future of network television?

For many years I was in network television. As a kid I worshiped network television. I knew all the shows, all the actors in all the shows, and once I got into writing – all the writers and producers of every show. And not because I felt it was an obligation. I did this because I wanted to. I cared.

How many thousands of hours of commercials did I sit through before VCR’s and DVR’s until fast forwarding? And half the time so I could watch the end of PETTICOAT JUNCTION or junk like that.

But I didn’t care. It’s was TELEVISION. CBS, NBC, ABC – my portals to the wonders of entertainment.

Recently, I came across an article from TVLine.com listing the network shows that are on the bubble for cancellation. Trade websites and papers list them every year. But what was startling about this year was that as I was scrolling down the list I was shocked at how many of these shows I had never even heard of. And again, what not talking some obscure cable channel – we’re talking the major broadcast networks.

What the heck is A MILLION LITTLE THINGS? Or COUNCIL OF DADS? EMERGENCE? GOOD GIRLS? INDEBTED? Something called LINCOLN RHYME: HUNT FOR THE BONE COLLECTOR? You’d think that just the long title alone would catch my attention. But no.

And the list continues. MANIFEST? OUTMATCHED? SINGLE PARENTS? ZOEY’S EXTRAORDINARY PLAYLIST? That’s another long title that should have registered based on its length alone. It didn’t.

Here’s the sad part: I bet some of these shows are very good; certainly worth sampling. But how would I know? No one has recommended them to me. And I don’t watch network primetime so if there are promos I never see them.

I don’t know the solution. When I have sampled new network shows, especially sitcoms I’ve been disappointed. Is it network interference (which continues to be oppressive), or writing staffs that are hired based on agendas not necessarily talent, or an overall fear of anything that’s not safe (which included recycling the same tired TV actors over and over again)? Poor promotion also has to be a culprit. What good are promos on NBC if you don’t watch NBC?

Networks are going to be faced with an even bigger challenge this year. Nobody knows what the world is going to look like come this Fall. They will be forced to work outside their comfort zone. Will that result in more innovation, a new look and approach that possibly results in a resurgence of network television, or more of the same and a shorter path for the lemmings to get to the cliff? As someone who grew up loving the networks, I hope it’s the former.

from By Ken Levine

Comments