Weekend Post

I was excited to see the 30 ROCK reunion last Thursday night. I knew going in it was a disguised hour commercial for NBC and all the Universal/Comcast holdings. But 30 ROCK always treated the meta aspect of NBC with a wink-wink so I wasn’t particularly worried. I knew they’d promote and make fun all at the same time.

And I love Tina Fey.

There were some good jokes (there always are) and it’s always great to see Alec Baldwin in any comedy. Maybe if the show had been a half hour I would have come away satisfied.

As it was, an hour-long relentless bombardment of NBC product sapped away the playful mirth, and by the end I felt I had been had.

A little meta is fun. A lot of meta becomes exclusionary. When the general audience gets the sense that the show is geared primarily to industry insiders they stop caring. And Thursday night was a meta-fest.

My other problem was the promos themselves. Quick-cut trailers that were frenetic and exhausting. And here’s the thing: Yes, NBC has new shows and comedies, and classics, and movies, and documentaries, and news shows, and animation, and vintage shows, and sports, and family fare, and concerts, and reality shows – but so does EVERYBODY ELSE.

HBO Max could make the same trailers. So could DISNEY +, and Netflix, and Hulu. In fact, they DO make those trailers.

So there’s nothing eye-popping about the NBC presentation. We get it. I’m sure there are some wonderful shows in there. I have no idea what they are. Or, in some cases, where in the NBC universe they reside.

And so by the end of the hour, for all the promos and all the shows on all the platforms, the only one that landed was the new Ted Danson sitcom. It looked fun and we were treated to 30 seconds of it, not 1.6. I think it’s on the big network. It is, isn’t it?

Which platform runs 30 ROCK because I would rather watch the old shows than anymore “reunions.”

from By Ken Levine

Comments