Was that really me?

Many years ago I attended a college reunion of the campus radio station I worked at -- KLA from UCLA. A fellow member hosted it at her house and we had quite a good turnout. I remember going, seeing folks I hadn’t seen since we were all stoned, and a good time was had by all.

What I didn’t remember was a video that was made. One by one we were on camera saying hello and trying to be funny (with varying degrees of success).

Recently, one of these attendees got in touch and mentioned this video. I had never received a copy so asked if I could see it. She graciously sent me a DVD.

Like I said, I don’t recall even making this.

Two things struck me upon watching it: The first was how much younger (and hairier) we all were. That reaction comes from looking back at any reunion.

But the other, and this I didn’t expect, was watching myself. Since I have no memory of this it was like watching someone I didn’t know. As that person spoke into the camera I had no idea what he was going to say. It was a weird experience. (like being in the BOURNE IDENTITY)

For me it wasn’t the first. When I was a Top 40 disc jockey I never prepared for my shows. I know there are program directors who frown on that, but I wanted my shows to be spontaneous. And I figured if I couldn’t come up with one funny thing to say after a three-minute record there had to be something wrong. So I winged it and my shows had lots of comedy despite my lack of preparation.

Years passed.

Every so often someone on the internet will unearth a recording of one of my shows from the ‘70s and post it. And since I said stuff off the top of my head I made no effort to remember any of my material.

So it was like listening to someone else. I had no idea what was going to come out of his mouth. I have to say that half the time I was quite pleased. I’d think: I thought of that? Wow. But there were other times I cringed. I said some real stupid shit on the radio. Overall, it was somewhat surreal.

But the strangest experience of all was driving home one night after a very late rewrite, listening to the radio, and hearing a commercial. I thought to myself, “I know that voice. Who is that?” After about fifteen seconds I realized: It was ME.

Talk about an out-of-body experience. Yikes. Has anything like this ever happened to you?

from By Ken Levine

Comments