Sleepless Frasier in Seattle

There’s an article onCracked.com that pointed out the similarities between FRASIER and the hit movie, SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE.  Both came out around the same time, both are set in Seattle, both feature lead characters who are talk show hosts, and David Hyde Pierce is in both. 

 

So did anyone steal from anyone else?

 

SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE was in development for several years before FRASIER was conceived, but here is a true case of coincidence.   Believe me, the creators of FRASIER were not stuck and said, “What is Nora Ephron up to?” 

 

But it does highlight that ideas do originate coincidentally.   You’ll notice that no lawsuits were ever filed by anyone.   And that’s because there was no one to blame. (although that rarely does stop Hollywood from litigation) 

 

And it explains why I, and most writers in the industry with a reputation and track record won’t read unsolicited material. We need to protect ourselves.   If I’ve been working on a spec screenplay set in the dangerous world of contact lens grinding, I won’t want to read your pilot because chances are 90% you’ll have contact lens grinding as the centerpiece of your project.   And my screenplay becomes a huge summer tent pole blockbuster (how could it miss?) starring the Rock and Gal Gadot and yours doesn’t sell and you sue me for stealing your idea.   Obviously, I’m being facetious (write your contact lens grinder movie with no fear I will be coming after you), but you get the point. 

 

I went through a period where I was writing spec screenplays.  At the time, specs were in demand and a sale was worth well over six-figures and sometimes seven (although never for me).  I sold a few; a few I didn’t. 

 

But the scariest day of the year was the third Sunday in January.  That was when the LA TIMES “Calendar” section laid out thumbnails of all the movies that were slated to come out that year.    Close to 300 films. 

 

I would read each synopsis with my heart in my throat just praying that the movie I’d been writing for the last four months wasn’t coming out in June starring Clint Eastwood.   It was like walking through a minefield. 

 

At least FRASIER and SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE  were for different venues and featured different tones and styles.   Remember when there were three Amy Fisher TV movies developed at the same time?  Or two SNOW WHITE features?   Or two WYATT EARP movies?   I’d say “great minds think alike,” but it’s hard when I use Amy Fisher movies as an example.



from By Ken Levine

Comments