Intermissions or no intermissions? (the debate of our time)

A recent article in the Los Angeles Times by theatre critic Charles McNulty proposed that it was time to eliminate intermissions in theatre productions.  He feels it’s an outdated practice and in the post-COVID era theatergoers are going to be reluctant to huddle in crowded lobbies during intermission.  I see his points.

He addresses the issue of bladders.  Lots of people would rather not sit for two hours without going to the bathroom (especially since theatergoers tend to be on the AARP side).   Yes, people could leave their seats in the middle, but he acknowledged that theatres (especially Broadway theatres) tend to be packed.  Movie theatres offer more room.  Legit theatres aren’t going to reconfigure or take out seats so that’s a continuing problem.  Many of them are the size of shoe boxes anyway.

I personally don’t understand why theatres don’t welcome intermissions.  They make more money.  Concessions and T-Shirt sales would suffer without that mid-play break. You gotta move that merchandise. There's nothing sadder than a show closing with 7,000 unsold hoodies. I’ve had plays with no intermissions and several theatres have asked me if they could insert one.  

There’s the other psychological issue that tickets tend to be expensive (especially on Broadway).  I’ve gone to plays that lasted 75 minutes and I’m out of the theatre by 9:00.  That’s not a whole evening’s entertainment.  That’s a quick meal at the sushi bar.  

I have plays that have intermissions; I have plays that don’t.  One of my plays, which you can watch here, with Joely Fisher & Tim Daly, takes place in real time.  So there can’t be an intermission. 

But given my druthers, I prefer an intermission, and here’s why:

I write comedies.

Comedies play better with an intermission.  Audiences get tired and laughs start to die that otherwise wouldn’t if the audience has a break.  

With some dramas it’s the opposite.  They don’t want the audience to have a reprieve.  To fully get the experience they’re establishing they want the audience immersed until the end.   And I get that too.  

But for comedies, give me an intermission.  And it doesn’t hurt that wine is served during the break.  And I get a percentage of the hoodie sales. 



from By Ken Levine

Comments