Weekend Post

I've talked about how Larry Gelbart was the Mozart of comedy writers.  Remember in AMADEUS that Mozart used to write his music with no corrections or cross-outs?  Larry used to write MASH scripts in longhand on legal pads.  I once mentioned that I loved a particular episode he wrote called "The More I See You" and the next day he gave me a Xerox copy of his first draft.  I noticed that there were hardly any changes.  I said, "Wait.  So you do your first draft longhand, then do a second longhand to clean it up?" He said, "No, just one draft."   

When I write in longhand I have 24 hours to get it typed up.  Between all the cross-outs, lines in the margin, arrows, and sloppy penmanship, after 24 hours Navajo Code Readers couldn't decipher my scripts.  

But check out an example of Larry's first draft of "The More I See You."  He was remarkable in so many ways.  





from By Ken Levine

Comments