Behind the Attractions

Next month Disney + premieres a docuseries called “Behind the Attraction.”  Each episode will take you behind-the-scenes of one of Disneyland/World’s signature attractions like the Jungle Ride, Haunted Mansion, Small World, and more.  

First of all, I can’t imagine sitting through a documentary on “It’s a Small Small World.”  Hearing that song for a half-hour would make my head explode.  But apart from that, I’m on the fence.

On the one hand, I’m very curious.  And a lot of really creative artistry went into the making of these attractions.  It will be nice to see them get their due. But on the other, do I really want to see how the sausage is made?  Might it destroy some of the illusion?  There really aren't ghosts in the Haunted Mansion?

I might watch a few episodes and skip a few others.  There’s on the Disneyland Hotel.  Who cares?  But I’d like to see how they pulled off “Star Tours.”

What all of this reminds me of is the TV show “Disneyland” that ran on ABC in the early days of the park in the ‘50s.  Uncle Walt would host and often took you behind-the-scenes as the park was being built and improved.  I don’t have to tell you what a great advertisement this was for every child in America.  We wanted to go to Disneyland SO BAD.  There was no greater goal.  

I was one of the lucky ones.  Since I lived in LA, my parents were able to take me.  (It was everything I had hoped for and MORE.)   My heart goes out to kids in Minnesota and New Hampshire who would watch every week and could only dream about actually going to the Magic Kingdom.   I contend this is the number one reason today why Baby Boomers are in therapy.   And are sooooo screwed up.

“Behind the Attractions” premieres July 16th and is narrated by Paget Brewster, best known for co-starring in a Levine-Isaacs pilot that didn’t get on the air (through no fault of hers).   If they’re smart they won’t lead off with “Small World.” 


from By Ken Levine

Comments