Yet another reason why Mel Brooks was an inspiration

One of the reasons hetero males get into comedy writing is to impress girls.  Probably why most hetero males get into comedy writing.  

In High School the world belongs to the jocks.  And I grew up in LA at a time when surfing was the rage.  So every guy had a decent physique (except us nerds... but we now have better skin).  

Life was hopeless.   I’d be alone at 60.  Losing my occasional dates to over-the-hill athletes now playing in beer leagues.  

But then I saw THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW.  It was a revelation to me.  You could get a girl like Laurie Petrie by being skinny, dorky, and a COMEDY WRITER?   All is not lost. I’m funny.  Where do I sign up?

My sense of humor in High School was the only skill I had to wow the opposite sex.  Okay, so none of the cheerleaders would actually go out with me, but they would sign my yearbook and say I amused them.  So at least they knew who I was.  (It also helped that there weren't a lot of other funny people in my High School class.)

I thought about that recently when I read an excerpt from Mel Brooks’ upcoming autobiography.  He talks about being smitten by Anne Bancroft and eventually marrying her.  Here is another case of a beautiful woman who could probably have anyone she wanted and she chose this short gnome.  Being able to make people laugh is a real gift — even as valuable as the ability to throw a spiral.   And resulting in far fewer concussions…unless you wrote for Roseanne.  

I look forward to reading the rest of Mel’s book.  The small portion I read sure made me happy. 


from By Ken Levine

Comments