Birthday/Valentine's Monday after Super Bowl Sunday

Thanks to everyone here and on Facebook for all the birthday greetings today.  People who fired me from radio jobs, people I haven’t seen since high school, girls who wouldn’t go out with me, people I’ve never actually met, and I’m sure people who confuse me with the Ken Levine who invented BioShock — all have sent lovely notes.  Even though I’m not writing everyone back individually just know that I deeply appreciate it.   

I’m not doing one of those fundraiser deals.  I don’t want to charge people for wishing me a Happy Birthday.  That said, please give to the charity of your choice.

I must admit I’ve never been a huge fan of my birthday.  Sharing it with a holiday where restaurants gouge couples because they can puts a crimp in the celebration.  Plus, it’s a holiday that people feel obligated to celebrate, not from the heart.  Other than florists, does anyone really look forward to Valentine’s Day?  

I’m sure one year in the future I’ll be sharing my birthday with Valentine’s Day and the Super Bowl, which is fine — especially if it’s a game as good yesterday’s.   Congratulations to the Rams who won a nail-biter.  They were my team growing up and it’s the first time in my lifetime they won the Super Bowl (the St. Louis Rams don’t count).  What a post-season.  They beat Brady, beat the '49ers, and won the Super Bowl.  

I just hope the 70,000 in attendance don’t all come down with COVID.  I saw zero masks.  Ushers were supposed to enforce that. But when the Bengals receiver committed a face mask violation on his Rams defender, even that wasn’t called (resulting in a Cincinnati touchdown) so I guess no one cared.   

In any event, somewhere in the great beyond, my dear friend Ron Jacobs is smiling today.  Only sorry he wasn’t here to see what would have been the greatest moment of his life.  

And it puts my birthday in perspective.  Yes, it sucks getting older, but what a gift to still just be here.  

Finally, I confess that I don’t check Facebook every day to see whose birthday it is.  So if I don’t wish you a Happy Birthday just know I’m thinking it. Thanks again, Happy Valentine’s Day, and if the restaurant you go to tonight has a special Prix Fixe menu, the Red Lobster still has the “Ultimate Endless Shrimp Monday.”



from By Ken Levine

Comments