Friday Questions

On to February.  Here are more Friday Questions.  What’s yours?

Jim, Cheers Fan  is up first with a FRASIER question.


Was the whole "Daphne's a psychic" thing just a set up for the first Lilith appearance where Daphne has an unexplained headache when Lilith comes to the apartment, and walks away from meeting Lillth and says under her breath, "I shook that woman's hand and lost all feeling in my right arm!”

No, that was established in the pilot.  What we all realized however, was that it was a limited character trait and soon after this it was phased out. 

However, I will say it worked well in our Lilith episode.  And while we’re on that subject:

From Dave:


Further to you and David writing four of the Lillith episodes, did you both enjoy writing for her character? She seems a fantastic actor and the stories I saw with her in them seemed even better than normal (which is a high standard) especially the Room Service one.

Thanks, Dave.  We LOVED writing for Bebe.  Lilith was a great character and Bebe was pitch perfect.  What does it say about me and David Isaacs that we identify with Lilith Sternin Crane?  

And for you trivia buffs:  We wrote for Lilith in three series.  CHEERS, FRASIER, and the episode she guested on WINGS.  

Kyle Burress wonders:

I just finished watching CNN's The Movies on HBO Max in which you are shown a number of times talking about different films of the different eras. I've also seen you on their decades series. I'm curious about how that comes about. Do they contact you and ask you speak about specific movies, or is generalized and you just end up talking about whatever they happen to ask? Are you there at the same time as other people doing the same, or is it strictly one on one?

I was first contacted by CNN for the ‘70s because of my association with MASH.  I guess they were happy with my answers because I was invited back for the ‘80s to talk about CHEERS.  After about 45 minutes of CHEERS questions the producer called out to the interview: “Ask him something else.”

So he started asking me about other shows and to my surprise, used a lot of those responses.  

Again, I think they appreciated that I answered in short sound bytes so I was invited back for the ‘90s, ‘00s, and Movies.  

For the TV ones I felt I belonged.  But I’d watch a Movie episode and they’d interview Spielberg and Scorsese and then me, and I’m thinking “What the hell am I doing there?”  

Each interview was one-on-one and scheduled so there was someone before me and someone after.  In my case that meant Mike Farrell, Bob Newhart, Michael Mann, and Steven Bochco among others.  

And finally, Jahn Ghalt queries:

What are the particular reasons you got a screener for WEST SIDE STORY?

More generally who gets screeners these days?


I received it because I’m a DGA member and Spielberg is looking to win another DGA Award.  

Motion Picture Academy members get all the screeners.  WGA members and SAG members also receive them most of the time.  

There’s a warning that if I pirate the disc I will be fined $250,000 and sentenced to five years in prison.  Right.  And insurrectionists get one month in jail. 


from By Ken Levine

Comments