A Monday rant

WARNING:  This is cranky Ken today.

I will on occasion repost a story from years gone by on the weekend.  I figure enough time has passed that most of the people reading it are new to the blog.  I used to say they were reposts but figured if the subject matter hadn’t dated then why announce it’s a rerun?  Someone might say “Oh, then I probably read it” and skip it when in fact they hadn’t and miss out.  And often times I will revise the stories so they’re not dated or new information will be added.  Again, someone sees rerun and doesn’t bother.  

Once a month I try to repost a Friday Questions entry from ten years ago or more.  And for  those I specifically say when they first appeared.  Context is important in that regard I believe. I’ve answered well over 3,000 questions and at least six of them deserve to not just be buried in the archives.  

Okay, so that’s my policy.

Lately, I’ve received some angry comments from readers ripping me because I don’t post that certain weekend entries are reruns.  (Here comes the cranky part.). To those people and anyone else who has major issues with this humble blog:

How much are you paying for this?   Or, put another way, how much am I making for this?  Sixteen years of posting mostly every day and my compensation is what again?   How many blogs are even still going after sixteen years?  

You’ll also notice I don’t clutter my blog with ads.  I’ve been approached numerous times to do that. I’ve also been approached to move my blog to a subscription site behind a paywall.  I’ve declined.   

The bottom line is after sixteen years it’s getting harder and harder to maintain this blog. The reruns are necessary.  And how I choose to frame them is my call.  The alternative is ending the blog altogether.  And when that day finally comes, I fully expect these same people to angrily write in demanding refunds.  

Hopefully I never have to rerun THIS post again.



from By Ken Levine

Comments