"Kenny's Choice"

Here’s a Friday Question stemming from my recent Weekend Post that became an entire post.

It’s from Daniel:

You included Cheers in your dream lineup, but said you'd have to find a way to squeeze Frasier into it. I know this is nitpicking since you obviously love both shows, but do you consider Cheers to be the better of the two series? Even if only slightly? And, if so, why?

I loved them both when they originally aired, but I think Frasier has aged much better than Cheers. Not that there's anything wrong with Cheers (I still like it), but Frasier has a structural precision to most of its episodes that continues to be astounding. Every script is like an exquisitely made Swiss watch. (I feel okay saying this since you wrote for both series)

Well, first of all it’s a very hard "Sophie's" choice.  Besides the very unique “Point of View” episode of MASH that we wrote, if I had to choose one single episode as our very best I would choose “Room Service” from FRASIER.  If I had to choose the best episode I ever directed, it would be “Roz and the Schnoz” from FRASIER.  So my pride on being associated with that show is enormous.  

Where CHEERS has the edge for me is more personal and emotional.  I was with CHEERS from the pilot and stayed with the show for nine years.  I was with FRASIER on and off for six.

That first season of CHEERS was really a bonding experience.  Everyone involved was all around the same age and even though our ratings were terrible we all felt we were part of something special.  

David Isaacs and I had just come from three years of development hell and the chance to go back on a show of this quality was like someone throwing us a lifesaver.  

There were not a lot of great sitcoms at that point in time.  In fact, there was lots of speculation that sitcoms were dead and soon to become extinct.  Established sitcom writers were scrambling and writing one hour light drama specs.   Most of the sitcoms that were on the air then were not very good.  So to get on a show I really loved was a godsend.  

I remember one rewrite night sitting in the room with Glen & Les Charles, my partner, and the great David Lloyd and thinking, “Wow.  Just how lucky am I?”  

We loved working with the Charles Brothers and Jim Burrows and believe me, it was an absolute masterclass in showrunning.  

I also really enjoyed the setting.  As a huge sports fan, a sports bar was right up my alley.  I loved writing a romantic relationship and could certainly identify with the barflies.  

I loved all the characters.  We wrote 40 episodes of CHEERS and never got tired of it.  Trust me, that’s rare.  We could always find new ways for the characters to surprise us.  

And if I’m being honest, I always wanted to win an Emmy and CHEERS allowed me to achieve that.

So although CHEERS and FRASIER are both exceptional shows (and how lucky am I to have worked on both?), I would have to give the slight nod to CHEERS.   Also, I get more residuals from CHEERS. 


from By Ken Levine

Comments