Laugh-out-loud funny

 

It’s not often, but there are times I do laugh out loud in a room watching television.   And sometimes, with great comic construction, a solid laugh can lead to an even bigger laugh.  Oh… and sometimes that “comic construction” is not intentional.

Example:  Recently on JEOPARDY I laughed out loud (if only current sitcoms could make me laugh).  It was Final Jeopardy and the category was SINGERS.  The clue was something like (I’m paraphrasing) “This 95 year-old-singer recorded an album of new material in 2021.”  

The answer is obviously Tony Bennett.  

Only one of the three contestants got the right answer.  

One said Diana Ross.  Okay, that was audible guffaw number one.  For the record, Ms Ross is 77, but knowing how vain she is and what a diva she is, to think that anyone would assume she was 95 was, to me, absolutely hysterical.  

And then the topper:  The next contestant also wrote down Diana Ross.   I was on the floor.  TWO out of three people thought Diana Ross was 95.  

I would have given anything to see Ms Ross' reaction when she learned of this.  I know that’s mean, but I’m just being honest with ya.  And do understand I am a fan of her music.  Even saw her once in concert.  She’s a major talent.

But Diana Ross goes to extraordinary lengths to look glamorous and young.  And she has that huge mop of hair, all designed to bring attention to herself.   She's Motown's Norma Desmond.

I think if they would have said Cher my laugh would have been just as big.  Context.  If one had said Joni Mitchell — well, with all her health problems she’s aged considerably and it would be conceivable someone might (very incorrectly) think she’s 95.   So way more sad than funny.  

Same with Keith Richards -- although everyone has thought he was 95 since 1995.  

So for me — the right person, the right joke, and then the perfect topper.   Two great laughs in one night.  Oh.. I also got the answer right.  It had to be Tony Bennett.  Keith Richards didn’t record new material last year. 



from By Ken Levine

Comments