Everybody needs FRIENDS

A number of readers have asked “Why do you always point to the success of FRIENDS?  Shows like FRASIER and SEINFELD and EVERYBODY LOVE RAYMOND make lots of money too."

And this is true.

But not like FRIENDS.

The fact that I wrote on FRASIER I believe allows me a certain objectivity here.  It would be nice to say that the show I was involved with towers above the other, but the truth is FRIENDS is beloved around the world with every generation.  FRIENDS gets way higher ratings in syndication than any other sitcom of that era.  It just does. 

Netflix suffered a big blow when FRIENDS was taken off that platform.  The money it commands is much higher than comparable sitcoms.  

If you’re picking the “best” sitcom of the ‘90s (a very subjective and perhaps fool's errand) then those other shows are certainly in the conversation.  I "objectively" cast my vote for FRASIER.  But for sheer “success” — there’s only one clear winner (and I don't get any residuals on it).  

Precious few sitcoms are so enduring that their popularity continues decade after decade.  I would have to say there are three and possibly a fourth.  I LOVE LUCY, MASH, and FRIENDS with GOLDEN GIRLS fast approaching.   And some others still draw audiences like THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, CHEERS, SEINFELD, FRASIER, EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND, THE BRADY BUNCH, GILLIGAN’S ISLAND, THE OFFICE, 30 ROCK, and I’m sure five or six others.   But will they still be around in 2050?  I have no idea.  But I’m certain I LOVE LUCY, MASH, and FRIENDS will.  I hope to write a follow-up post at that time. 


from By Ken Levine

Comments