Another Opening/Another Show

Tonight is the preview performance of my romantic comedy play, AMERICA’S SEXIEST COUPLE at the Cape May Stage on the Joisy Shore.  Opening night is tomorrow.   It runs for a month.  Details and tickets here.

I’m very excited and a little nervous.  Why am I nervous?  After all, I’ve been doing this a rather long time.  Here’s why:

I’ve got a spectacular cast.  Tony-winner, Karen Ziemba, veteran actor, Bill Tatum, and future star, Remy Germinario — I won the casting lottery.  The director, Roy Steinberg has enhanced and elevated the material to heights I had not imagined.   The tech crew is dedicated and outstanding.  One of them drove nine hours from Ohio to participate. (Do people want to get out of Ohio that badly?)  The set is beautiful and thanks to light cues you can see it!  And the theatre itself is lovely.  Comfortable, great sight-lines and acoustics, and the air conditioner works.  

All of this is to say if it doesn’t work or get laughs it’s all on me.  I have no one to blame.  

I’m struck by the contrast between this and writing for sitcoms.  For a sitcom, the length is 22 minutes (or shorter today in some cases).  I’m surrounded by a team of super talented writers to solve any problems or add that killer joke.  If the show is a hit I have a studio audience that already knows and loves these characters.  Plus, I have post production where I can fix things in editing and add features like music and effects to cover any sins.  

For this play there’s no writing staff, no post production.  Every word in this ninety minute piece is mine.  So you can understand why it’s a little nerve-wracking.  

But it’s also why I love it.  There’s a real sense of pride and authorship.  And the challenge.  I’m always looking to stretch myself as a writer.  And if it works there’s no greater feeling in the world (other than winning awards for it).  

Everything is in place and it should work.  I’m super proud of this play.  I flew 3,000 miles and had to negotiate the Philadelphia airport to see it.  My supreme thanks to everyone involved (the cast, crew, and lady at Hertz who finally found a car that had Car Play that worked).  

I can’t wait for tonight.  And hey, if things don’t work out — there’s a big liquor store really close to the theatre.  

I’ll be at performances all this week.  Cape May is beautiful.  Come join us. 


from By Ken Levine

Comments