My Playbill

With a play currently running at the Cape May Stage (go see it), I was asked to write my bio for the Playbill.  This is standard practice.  If this or any of my plays ever goes to Broadway I will have a certain amount of difficulty writing my bio.  For you see I come from "television."  In Broadway circles that's akin to "axe murderer."  The quickest way for Broadway critics to hate me is see MASH, CHEERS, FRASIER in my bio.  AfterMASH will not redeem me.  So I decided to write my bio that would be more Broadway-acceptable.  Okay, I fudge just a tad with the facts, but I think it's worth it to be the Toast of New York.  Whattaya think?


Ken is the adopted son of Stephen Sondheim. His godfather was Bob Fosse whom he met while walking Gwen Verdon’s dog. He spent his formative years building the sets for LES MISERABLES. A Peace Corps stint followed where for two years he introduced the Broadway musical to poverty stricken villages throughout Cambodia.

Ken returned to New York where he walked Carol Channing’s husband. He became somewhat of a play doctor, coming in uncredited to save A CHORUS LINE, PROOF, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE (originally titled: SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH SHLOMO). WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?, AVENUE Q., AIN’T MISBEHAVIN’ (additional dialogue), GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS (talking Mamet out of the dance numbers), and THE ODD COUPLE (originally titled: TWO AND A HALF MEN).

An experimental work of his own played two nights in San Francisco and two nights in Detroit. It was called the 2012 WORLD SERIES.

He has never seen a television show, watched a movie, or read any book not written by John Simon or Frank Rich. 



from By Ken Levine

Comments