Friday Questions

Propelling you into Labor Day, here are some Friday Questions.

Chad Holmes leads off:


Have you gotten feedback on your critiques of what has gone wrong with the networks and sit-coms in your blog from the top levels that are the targets of those postings over the years and what have they said?

Yes.  I’ve heard from a number of network executives.  Sometimes they disagree with me and lay out their case.  In those instances I usually do a follow-up sharing their position.  

One time I ripped a network’s development slate.  They didn’t pick up a single comedy pilot although they made ten.  I got an email from a high-up executive at that network saying he didn’t want to reveal his identity, but said I was right.  There was something about every pilot that kept them from getting picked up.

I said, “Then you’re hiring the wrong development people, writers, or actors.”  He said, “You’re right.”  

He’s not with that network but he still is a major player today.  I, meanwhile, am still blogging.  

From Brian:


For the Frasier episode “The Show Where Lilith Comes Back”, which you and David wrote, Bebe Neuwirth received hearty laughter and applause when her voice is first heard calling into Frasier’s show. Was Bebe’s appearance kept secret from the studio audience to prompt a genuine reaction of surprise?

Yes.  What’s nice is that her character is so well-known and her voice is so recognizable that the audience picked up on it right away.  

She was also the first character to crossover from CHEERS and I think the audience was particularly delighted about that.  It signaled right away that this was a special episode.  

Bronson Turnquist asks:


What do you think of the recent rise in fast paced joke comedies like Rick and Morty and Archer?

Any comedy that makes a concerted effort to make people really laugh is good in my book. And rare. So I’m all for it.  

And finally, from msdemos:


As a baseball man yourself, who were/are some of the play-by-play and/or color analysts you consider the most "fun" (as opposed to most technically proficient) to listen to ??

Jon Miller of the Giants.  Jason Benetti of the White Sox.  Also Len Kasper of the White Sox.  Howie Rose and Gary Cohen of the Mets.  Andy Freed and Dave Wills of the Rays.  Eric Nadel of the Rangers.  Steve Physioc of the Royals.  Dave O’Brien of the Red Sox.  Dan Schulman of the Blue Jays.  Tom Hamilton of the Guardians (still the Indians as far as I’m concerned).  Bob Uecker of the Brewers.  Dan Orsillo of the Padres, Duane Kuiper of the Giants.  

For analysts:  Mark Grant, Dennis Eckersly, Keith Hernandez, Steve Stone, Darrin Jackson, Mike Krukow, Tommy Hutton, Gary Darling, and then there’s always crazy Rex Hudler.

I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting.  But Jon Miller and Jason Benetti my top two.  

For local TV broadcasts:  White Sox, Giants, Mets.

For local radio broadcasts: Giants, Mets, Rays.
 

from By Ken Levine

Comments