Labor Day reflections...

I’ve always hated Labor Day.

It meant the end of summer.  School was starting.  Somehow you never get over that low-grade dread.  (Now a lot of schools begin in August.  That’s nuts!)

But the toughest Labor Days I had were the three years I announced minor league baseball.  Minor league seasons end around Labor Day.  Major League rosters expand and some players are called up to the big leagues.  

I was always depressed because even after 144 games with maybe 2 days off in five months I was sorry to see it end.  That’s when I knew I was a real baseball lover or needed serious help.  

Trying to will myself a positive attitude while looking ahead, at least for twenty years or so we had the Jerry Lewis telethon.  This schmaltz-fest was always good for a few laughs.  Ooooh, the dripping sincerity.  But now that’s gone.

September also once meant the beginning of the new fall TV season.  That’s sort of a joke now since no one watches the networks anymore and shows on various platforms premiere every week.  

Oh well, at least this year I have more January 6 hearings to look forward to.  And the World Series, although now that’s almost a winter event.  

But in any event, Labor Day signals changes.  More on that tomorrow. 


from By Ken Levine

Comments